Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Unexpected beginnings

So, as Em said, she didn't make the trip to WDW with us today.

In a way, it's God's grace. If I'd known I'd be the only adult with three kids 9 and under, I'd have freaked out. But, in the necessity of the moment, it was peaceful.

Things went pretty well. Even having the kids all take bathroom breaks in JFK. God's helping me learn to trust even when I can't physically see the kids.

The plane from JFK to Orlando went well overall. But that leg of the journey is under the shadow of a Sofie freak fest for about 15 minutes in the plane. I'd been so pleased that she'd finally taken a nap. But waking from it didn't go so well.

15 minutes of tantrum.

I tried everything: peaceful reasoning with her, helpful hints on clearing your ears, quiet but very angry commands, ignoring, praying for peace, casting out anything that needed to go.

15 minutes can be a long time! Especially when people 2 and 3 rows in front of you are turning back to look.

*sigh*

But she did get over it. And she did say "sowwy" to some of the people around us.

We were then signed up for the Magical Express. But that didn't go the way I'd expected. I thought we'd simply hop on a bus. Instead, we went to the hinterlands of the airport and stood in a l-o-n-g line. I couldn't believe it when I, the only parent with three kids, was told by a cast member, "Only one person in line please. The rest can wait out here."

I know she was just in a verbal rut, but I wasn't impressed.

Fortunately, the bus was ready for us. Pretty cool.

When we got here at Old Key West, we had a bit more of the non-Disney-Magic. Our front desk person kept talking about my parents' reservation--in front of the kids after I told her their coming was a secret!

I couldn't believe it.

Her: "Are you Kathy Pitman?"
Me: "No. But we're under her DVC membership. (whispering)They don't know grandma is coming. It's a surprise.

Her: (almost shouting) "So would you like to check in for your mom since she hasn't arrived yet?"
Me: (more tersely) "Please keep it down, the kids do not know. It's a surprise. (In a happier, but forced, voice) Kids, why don't you go around the corner here in the lobby and check out the movie?"

Her: (after I'd checked in for Mom and after Sofie had returned to the counter) "Will your mother be driving a car?"
Me: (with a very forced smile) "I've told you, this is a surprise. My daughter is right here. Please keep it down."

You get the picture. The cast member beside her was really trying to help her make the situation more magical. But it wasn't working.

The cool thing? As we were going to the golf cart to be taken to our apartment, Grandma stepped out of the Magical Express bus right in front of us!!!!

The kids were shocked. Caleb told another family, "I was so surprised, I was staring with my mouth wide open." He went on to say, "But then I remembered Mary Poppins and closed my mouth." :)

And Emily had a similar experience. She got here while the kids were at the pool near the main entrance.

Very cool.

No comments: